Tips and tools to improve your Instagram strategy
Lately I like Instagram a lot and I talk little in my blog about this social network. But today will not be the day to shut up, in the contrary, I will share some practices that I love and have tried in this social network obtaining good results ? You will find in this post some tips and tools to execute them. I hope you like it!!
Table of Contents
- 1 1 – Bet on mini videos
- 2 2 – Manage intelligently and effectively your Instagram community
- 3 3- Take a lot of care with the content you publish
- 4 4 – Take care of your community
- 5 5 – Create promotions
- 6 6- How to increase your followers
- 7 7 – Take advantage of hashtags without abusing
- 8 8 – Simple tricks that will help in your management
1 – Bet on mini videos
Mini videos are a practical and fun format that can help us connect better with our audience in Instagram.
Do not give me the excuse that you do not have resources nor money to make mini videos when there are a lot of tools that can help you make this task easy, I leave you some below:
- Flipagram – to make mini videos with various pictures.
- Doubletap Sticker – to make people click to play your videos and at the same time obtain a like.
- Lapse it – create mini videos in stop-motion. The best example is of @rachelryle
- Hyperlapse – the tool to create time lapse videos that Instagram has launched.
2 – Manage intelligently and effectively your Instagram community
Forget about generating last minute content, plan in a strategical form the content you want to show and lean on good resources as the ones I share below:
- Picdeck to manage as Tweetdeck your Instagram account, works with columns and it is very good ?
- Editorial calendar to see what you will publish and when.
- Analyze well the effectiveness of your content with IconoSquare.
- Leave your pictures programmed.
- Manage multiple accounts, one from your mobile, another from your computer. If you want to manage an account from your computer in Instagram you will have to install BlueStacks, then go to Google Play and download Instagram. As you can see you can do the same in your mobile but from your computer.
- Promote in your other channels to follow you on Instagram (but only if you do not share the same content)
3- Take a lot of care with the content you publish
After knowing and sharing some days with Kim and Phil I can assure you that you change the way you publish in Instagram. They manage the IGERS community and they know exactly that a Instagram post requires planning and time to make it perfect. From the frame to the effects. The problem is that today a lot of trashy content are uploaded. If you are a brand take in account that it is not necessary to focus so much in design, focus on a lot of quality with something more simple, if suddenly it is a lot of branding, people will not see your content.
If with your brand you generate images in your computer, I invite you to try the filters of Instagram for Photoshop, that way you can directly export the images as they have to be uploaded.
Other tips I can give you for content are:
- Avoid dark images, light ones are always better to the view of your fans.
- Try to always focus correctly the plane that you are most interested in the composition of your image.
- Do not add a lot of filters to your images, you will take its essence.
- Use collages without always abusing with the technique.
- If you are going to add a watermark, logo type, confirm that it looks good and not pixelated.
- Never publish content with unreadable texts.
The exact measure of Instagram images are 640px X 640px and the avatar is 161px X 161px
4 – Take care of your community
You complain that your profile is not working well, but maybe you have not thought about if you are really promoting a community culture or if you are giving real reasons by which to create a community around your brand. The following are some ideas to promote a community:
- Make questions in your posts.
- Share content generated by your fans (always giving them credit) with tools as Repost you can do it.
- Respond all comments to your audience every time you can.
- Show the human side of your brand, this connects really well.
- Generate tutorials related to your brand, this is always appreciated.
- Try to tell a story with an image to see how they react.
- Offer good customer support to your fans.
- Thank your fans every time you can.
- When you show products, do not only use pictures, invite your fans to upload content and then share it ?
5 – Create promotions
Contests can help brands build loyalty and especially to grow in number of followers. You can create promotions in this social network, the bad thing is that there are few tools that allow you to manage and you will have to do almost everything manually. But in the following I share the most typical contests in this social network:
- Contest to upload a picture with a hashtag
- Contest to upload a mini video with a hashtag
- Contest to mention a friend in a post
- Contest to follow in Instagram and upload a picture or video
- Contest to follow in Instagram and mention a friend in a post
- Contest to REPOST a picture with a determined hashtag
6- How to increase your followers
The first thing I will tell you is to NOT use the technique to massively FOLLOW and UNFOLLOW to capture followers. That will help you very little. Anyways, to manage followers I invite you to always see Crowdfire that can come in handy especially to return the follow to the fans you are interested in following.
The best advice to increase followers is to bet on content of value, inviting your fans from other social networks or making a contest of mentioning a friend ?
Hashtags are ideal to group content, but be careful with uploading posts with various hashtags, it is always better that you prepare a list of the most related to your brand and then generate your own. For example, for every content category generate a hashtag of your own that later can help looking easily for things. With this technique you can later some day tell your fans, look at all the tutorials with the hashtag #TutorialsBrandX
8 – Simple tricks that will help in your management
- Use icons with arrows to indicate that the link is in your BIO.
- Add links as location, that way the URL will be seen and you can take it from there. This is the alternative until Instagram allows to publish clickable links.
- If you are going to put a long link in your BIO, shorten it with a bitly.
- Take your Instagram pictures to Twitter.
I hope you liked these tips and tools mentioned ? If you have more recommendations or tools we can talk in the comments ?