How to create the best topics for your online course [Includes templates]
The first step is to define and validate the theme of your online course. The next is to develop a super list of topics to transmit your knowledge in the best way. Creating a good list of topics requires a lot of hours of investigation and analysis. Through this post I want to share everything you need to create the best list of topics for your online course and at the end of the article you will have access to two editable templates that will help you with your topics.
Table of Contents
- 1 What do you need to create a good list of topics?
- 2 Validate your online course before creating a list of topics
- 3 How to create the best list of topics
- 3.1 1. Define the audience of your course
- 3.2 2. Define the objectives of your course
- 3.3 3. Structure your list of topics well
- 3.4 4. Use templates to create your list of topics
- 3.5 5. Create a script for every lesson
- 3.6 6. Define the bonus of your online course
- 3.7 7. Rewrite the name of your lessons
- 3.8 8. Look for a better name for your course
- 4 Recommendations to create a good list of topics
- 5 Download the templates pack to create your list of topics
What do you need to create a good list of topics?
- A theme you control, the more experience you have the better your course will be.
- A temporal name for your course, when you name projects everything is more real.
- An online tool to start to create your list of topics. I recommend you Evernote or Google Docs. As it is online you can update at any moment.
Validate your online course before creating a list of topics
Do not waste your time creating a list of topics for your online course if before you do not validate the idea. To validate the idea I recommend you some basic things:
- Look in Amazon and learning platforms such as Tutellus and Udemy what courses and books are related to your topic. But be careful, under no circumstance read the list of topics, you will contaminate yourself and then you will only want the modules you saw in other programs.
- Ask your community if they would be interested in the course you are thinking about. This you can do it through a poll on social networks or with your Email Marketing list.
- Create a wait landing page and promote it in your online channels and with advertising to see the percentage of users that convert after visiting the landing page.
Once you have your the idea of your course validated you will have to develop the list of topics, below I will share how I do it step by step.
How to create the best list of topics
1. Define the audience of your course
Create a buyer person for each type of student that you will have in your course. For example, for Triunfacontucurso.com I have two important person buyers:
- Freelance professionals (consultants, coaches, etc.) that want to share your knowledge through digital products.
- Bloggers that want to monetize their blog and professional experience.
My task is to think like they would in all their frustrations so that my course is the best solution to their problems.
2. Define the objectives of your course
Make a list with objectives of your online course, that which your students will obtain when they finish the course. For example:
- Learn to create optimized campaigns of online advertising.
- Learn to create an online course without the help of programmers.
- Learn to sell in a successful way an online course through a webinar.
3. Structure your list of topics well
The courses are organized by modules and lessons. Nevertheless I like to have a superior category to structure everything much better. For my course I have four phases:
Each of these phases will have their respective modules and lessons. I recommend you to do the same, in the graph below I share how I always organize my list of topics and a real example.
4. Use templates to create your list of topics
Once you define the structure of your list of topics I recommend you to write a first draft and then a semifinal version with a specific template. In the following I show you the one I use. As you will see the document is simple, but very practical. I define the name of the module and then each lesson specifying the format and duration for the videos. For last I always like to have a minimum hours on the courses I sell.
5. Create a script for every lesson
The scripts are very useful when recording the content of your lessons. I like to have a script with the most relevant points of every lesson, that way I take it in account when creating the slides or recording the lessons in videos or simply creating the downloadable content. A good script is the perfect skeleton to never forget important things.
6. Define the bonus of your online course
The bonus are resources of a lot of value that you offer additional to the content of your course. For example:
- Strategic course for Facebook Ads
- BONUS: How to create landing pages because you will need to create a good page to convert more with your ads.
The bonus can be your own or you can obtain it through the collaborations with other specialist professionals.
7. Rewrite the name of your lessons
When you prepare your list of topics usually you are very practical, however at the moment of selling your course you will need persuasive and effective word. This is why I recommend you to rewrite all the lessons of your online course and create new more attractive titles.
8. Look for a better name for your course
When you have the name of your course it can change, you will notice that maybe you need something more attractive. I always recommend for online courses a title of 3 to 6 words and a subtitle that highlights with key words. For example:
- Title: Succeed with your course
- Domain: Triunfacontucurso.com
- Subtitle: The most complete course to create info products and online courses without dying while trying.
Recommendations to create a good list of topics
- When you have the semifinal version of your list of topics you will have to see all the list of topics of similar courses or that seem the same as yours to see what else you can add. DO NOT do this until you have this version, you will thank me.
- Read ALL the comments of the courses of your competition and turn their weaknesses in your strengths. When I launched my Facebook Ads course I saw that in all the courses they did no explain well Facebook Pixel, that is why a made a module about that topic and even a practical case. Their weakness is my strength. Before I had the thing about the pixel like a lesson in another module.
- Organize the list of topics of your course in the best order to help your students. Be logic and practical and help them have a good learning experience.
- To create a good list of topics think about all the problems that your audience has and offer them a solution with every lesson of the course.
- Add resources in each module so they always have the practical part.
- If you have many lessons in one module divide the content.
I hope this guide helps you create a super list of topics for your online course, do not forget to take in account my recommendations. Any doubt write in the comments.
Download the templates pack to create your list of topics
If you want to create your best list of topics use the templates I use with my online courses. Download my pack right now and take:
- A template to create the list of topics and bonus of your course
- A template to create the script of each lesson of your course